Sunday, July 20, 2008

Time

Have you ever thought about what your life will be like, say 10 years from now?

I often wonder what kind of person I would be like 10 years down the road. On my way home from Clarke Quay on a bus while listening to my music, this question just popped out out of no where on my head, and to be honest, it caught me by a bit of a surprise.

Ten years... that seems a very long time in the future. I don't even know what my life is going to be like a year for now, not to mention ten years!

One of the first thing that I asked myself was whether I would be the same kind of person I am now. Looking back 10 years ago, to who I was as a 10 year old, I could clearly see the difference between me from back then and the me of now. Certainly, as compared to a 10 year old, I was far more matured, more outspoken, more intelligent, and far more independent. Then, I thought to myself, if 10 years can change a kid into an adult, how will the next ten year in my life change who I am currently?

One question followed after another: Where would I be? What kind of job would I have? Who would I be with? Where would my parents be? How much would I earn? What kind of person would I be?

Maybe I would live in a nice house. I would be earning enough money to live comfortably. I would spend my days working as something that I like, and spend my well deserved holiday travelling all over the world. I would have the woman of my dreams as my wife, and we would have kids in a great environment and a nice neighborhood. I would have all the...

and then, reality starts to sink in.

What if I don't live in a nice house? What if I don't earn enough money to live comfortably? What if I spend my days doing something I don't like, and spend my holiday looking for extra jobs because I don't earn enough? What if I never meet anyone in my life and I would die as a lonely old man?

True, 10 years is very far to the future, but after spending the spare time I had while sitting in the bus, I have soon realised that "time" is not something to be taken lightly of. We often hear people saying it, and we ourselves often say it to others, yet we never take it seriously.

If there was one saying that all of you guys must make sure that it sinks in your mind is that "Time waits for no one."

One year from now, you will never know what is going to happen to you. One year from now, there may be some unexpected events that will change your life forever. One year from now, you may or may not be the kind of person you are now. One year from now, the only certainty in the uncertain is that things will not be the same.

The kind of person you will be 10 years from now will be determined by the kind of person you choose to be for the next 10 years to come. In other words, whether you will be poor, you will be rich, you will be happy, you will be sad, you will live in a mansion, you will live under the bridge; no one but you have to choose your own path in life.

How many times have you found yourself thinking, "Only if I have done this last time.", "Only if I have asked her out that time.", "Only if I have studied more properly." or "Only if I had more determination in doing things." If you have said too much Only Ifs in your life, now would be a good time to start changing what you are doing, before you find yourself 10 years older but 10 steps behind. Would you rather spend your adulthood telling people your great achievements, or would you rather spend your days crying in despair because your life has been nothing but full of only-ifs and self-inflicted failures?

Grab the chance when it comes, never give up till its gone. Life is always a two-way split road and destiny changes with each path that you choose. Yes or No. I will do it or I won't do it. I can or I can't. It's all in your hands. If you keep avoiding what you know it's right, and keep choosing the wrong path knowing that you are doing something wrong, I would not even bother to imagine what you would be like 10 years from now.

Here. Now. At this moment, nothing is too late yet. Your future has not happened yet. Nothing has been determined yet. You are still who you are. You are ver much uncertain of your future, and this is exactly why you must be happy, because you still have the power to change what's to come. That is why, I have decided that I would now shape my own future and do my best to overcome anything that acts to bring me down.

Will I succeed?

I guess, I'll just have to wait 10 more years and read this post once again.

No comments: