Sunday, January 13, 2008

Lonely Taxi Driver...

Went to play football with friends yesterday at my old school. Played under the rain so it was quite fun. After that, went to a nearby coffee shop to drink lime juice there. O_o ordered a plate of Beef Fried rice lol.

After eating, I went to the side of the road to flag for a taxi. After getting on a taxi, as I was about to reach my home, the taxi driver started talking to me. At first, he asked me where I came from and why am I heading to NUS Staff's Housing (my father works for NUS so I live in the staff's housing) and after explaining to him, he started talking about many, many and MANY other things. o_O He asked,"You Singaporean?" "No, I'm actually Indonesian." I replied. "Oh," he said, looking at me through his mirror. Then he asked me whether I was studying here, and I told him that I am pursuing my Business Degree at SMU. "You must be careful," he said with a serious expression.

The taxi reached my home, and the driver stopped it's meter. After paying him and as I was about to get out from the taxi, he started talking.

"When you graduate and get a job, surely you will be posted in a high position. And when you are in high position, you will get higher pay but also you will have a lot of pressure." Wondering what he is trying to say, I asked him to explain to me what he meant. "You know, some people work for 10 to 15 years for a company, but they never get promoted. So when they see you starting at a higher position than them, they will try everything to sabo you." He then continued, "The person who is the most dangerous is the person closes to you." "They know all about you, from your weaknesses to bad things that you have done in the past. And when they have enough evidence against you, they will show it to the top people, and the top people will then come and find you.", he added.

With me still inside the taxi with my hand on the door handle, I was ready to thank him for his advice and I was about to get out, but to my horror, his mouth opened and he started talking again.

"You know, Singaporeans are cruel people.", he said. He then went on to talk about how Singaporean bosses ill treats their foreign workers, such as those Chinese lady working in Kopitiam, or those company owners who doesn't give any chance to any mistakes made by employees. "Singaporeans are lazy people. They want a lot of money, but they don't want to work for it. And when the foreigners get their job, they complain to the government.", he added with an angry tone. For the next 30 minutes, as I sat there wondering when he is going to stop talking, he continued his speech, covering various topics such as what jobs are good to take and what businesses should I venture into. Everytime he make pauses, my joy of possibly getting out of the taxi is destroyed, as soon as he started opening his mouth and talking about something else. I don't meant to be rude but, my legs were itchy and I was so tired from playing football and I was dying to have my shower and to sleep on my bed as soon as possible.

After it seemed that he has run out of things to talk about, he stretched his hand towards me and said, "I hope you have a good luck in your studies, and all the best to you." "Thank you for your advice. I hope you have a good night.", I said as I shook his hand, after which I opened the taxi door and let myself out of that car, earning my well deserved freedom.

Putting aside the fact that I had to endure his long speech, some things that came out from him are actually valuable. I learned things such as not to trust someone completely with everything you have because nobody is perfect and they can turn their backs on you anytime. I also learned not to be complacent and always starts from the bottom and work your way slowly to the top, so as to respect those who has been there longer than you have. Most importantly, I learned that if we want to be wealthy, it won't happen if we just sit around all day and do nothing. Those people who are earning millions were once as poor as many people around us. But through perseverence, determination, and some sheer luck, they made their way to the top and now lives comfortably in their lives.

If you choose to laze around now, sure, you will enjoy your current life more. But watch your back because Time ain't gonna wait for you. You might have your parents now to cover your back, but they aren't gonna be here forever. Before you know it, you've already fallen deep into the darkness, never be able to escape again.

Your future, is in your hands.

~~~~~
Tomorrow is the start of another dreadful week. Hope I survive this one. haha..
~~~~~
Joke of the Day:
A teacher asks her class, "If there are five birds sitting on a fence and you shoot one of them, how many will be left?" She calls on little Johnny. "None, they all fly away with the first gunshot."
The teacher replies, "The correct answer is four, but I like your thinking." Then Little Johnny says, "I have a question for YOU. There are three women sitting on a bench having ice cream. One is delicately licking the sides of the triple scoop of ice cream. The second is gobbling down the top and sucking the cone. The third is biting off the top of the ice cream. Which one is married?"
The teacher, blushing a great deal, replies, "Well I suppose the one that's gobbled down the top and sucked the cone."
"The correct answer is the one with the wedding ring on... but I like your thinking."

No comments: